Friday, June 5, 2009

"My Town" shootout.... open assignment!

This week's theme was open, so I headed back through the ol' archives to dig up some good ones.

First:

The most prominent landmark of our area, Mt. Diablo. It's also a fabulous state park. Unfortunately, with the state budget crisis, the Governor has proposed closing most of the state parks in an effort to save money. The San Francisco Bay Area is home to a large number of state parks, and it'd be a shame to see them shuttered. One neat thing about the mountain is that there's a strobe beacon on the top that's usually dark; however, annually on December 7th, it's lit from dusk to dawn to commemorate the Pearl Harbor attack. They have a ceremony at sunset with the few remaining survivors in the area.


Next I was experimenting with sunlight and shadows... this was on an afternoon hike on the Alamo Creek Trail.


The aforementioned state bird, the California Quail!

2 comments:

  1. I don't have you on my list and I wasn't following so I almost missed your blog this week. I will rectify both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Brasil they have 'adopt a park' large corporations take over and maintain (cause the government is always out of money) in gerneral this works very well. hope they find a solution and keep the parks open. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete